Monday, May 1, 2017

Thought for Today: 10K Personal Best, 3 Birds, and a Poem

   On Sunday I went for a run. I never run on Sundays. It's my official rest day. But this weekend needed a run. My son came down with the dreaded Norovirus, a virulent bug with days and nights of vomiting that warranted a trip to the doctor on Saturday morning. The day went by taking care of him and my household and my plans for a long run and then a massage later on went to the back burner. Sunday morning I took my daughter to church and when we got home the rain had cleared so I thought what the heck I better go for a run now because who knows what the week may bring. I put on my running gear, grabbed my watch and my water bottle and headed out for an 8 miler. I got into a good pace within the first mile and boy did it feel good to get out of the germ filled house and knock out some stress. My thoughts started to clear from the messes I had cleaned up and the smells I had smelled for the past four days. I all of a sudden noticed a Great Blue Heron swooping down to its nesting area. A couple of miles later I saw a tan colored hawk circle a tall tree. Then at about mile six the biggest Red-Headed Wood Pecker I have ever seen dove down and landed on a bush in front of me. I love how nature can really speak to me and remind of God's goodness. "I lift up my eyes to the hills. Where does my help come from? from the Lord the Maker of heaven and earth." Psalm 121. A poem I wrote about fifteen years ago came to mind. It was a different Spring day but similar thoughts were running through my mind back then. I was reminded to keep looking up, to keep going pushing forward, to keep forcing my head above water with God's help. My watch chimed; 10K record! Awesome!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment